Re: Re: N. rajah soil

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 20:14:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 29 May 97 23:14 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: N. rajah soil

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>
> > No special mix needed. For young plants just take an open peaty mix.
> >Peat/sand 1:1 should be fine. Take a good quality quartz sand!
>
> Peat is such a dangerous word in American English because it occurs on a
> variety of horticultural products. By peat, do you milled sphagnum moss? I
> hope I'm not opening pandora's box.

Hi David,

    I don't think the type of peat *is* important for Nepenthes.
They don't have the same acid needs as the bog growing CP's. Just
don't use peat that is thick and mucky with poor drainage. Milled
Sphagnum is just that, it shouldn't be sold under another name...
I'm using peat moss, seedling orchid mix and diatoms (or sand or
perlite) at 1:1:1 for seedling Neps. 2/3 of top of the pots are
covered with plastic wrap so they don't dry out so fast. If the tops
are completely covered, fungus grows and seedlings turn pale and rot.

So far I've had the best luck germinating Nepenthes seed on/in living
Sphagnum, but then it starts to bury the plantlets. After they grow
two true leaves, I transplant them into the mix above.

Dave Evans