D. gigantea seedlings?

From: Glenn Rankin (rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 14:24:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:24:41 PDT
From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. gigantea seedlings?

About six months ago some tuberous seedlings germinated in one of my
pots. I can't be positive what I planted because the seeds were sown
more than 1 1/2 years ago and the label was inadvertantly pulled out
and lost. By process of elimination, I think the seeds were D.
gigantea, although it is possible that they are volunteer D. peltata.

Small rosettes formed and eventually the erect stalks grew. I compared
these seedlings with those I knew to be D. peltata and I could see
consistent differences. (For peltata the growing point is a loose aggregate
where multiple unfurled leaves are visible. For my "gigantea", the
largest unfurled leaf completely surrounds and hides the smaller ones)
However, now that the plants are starting to go dormant, I'm not so
sure, because the tubers are white!

Do I have to wait till these plants flower (years from now) before I
can make a positive identification? If not, what do I look for?

Glenn Rankin