Re: Sarracenia seed maturation

From: Joe Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 18:33:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 21:33:21 -0400
From: Joe Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia seed maturation

Non scientifically speaking, this could be some form of "vegetative
apomixis caused by uneven weather during early bud formation which
causes the flower parts to be replaced by miniature plantlets" From
CARNIVOROUS PLANTS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA page 21 by Mr.
Donald Schnell. I have seen non carnivorous plants flower, the seed
pods mature, and sprout new plants from the seed head. Usually happens
when the seed pod remains moist for several days or weeks.
Joe Cumbee