Re: Sarracenia seed maturation

From: Brian Quinn (coro63@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 14:03:38 PDT

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:03:38 +1200 (NZST)
From: Brian Quinn <coro63@ihug.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia seed maturation

> Out of curiosity, I opened one of the seed pods up
> the other day to see if any seeds were present,
> and curiously enough, three of them had germinated
> into little seedlings right inside the sealed
> seed pod! Has anyone heard of this happening before ?

This happened to three of my plants last summer. Living here in Auckland we
get very wet coastal air, rain coupled with cyclones produces very humid
conditions. My Sarracenia flava, S. x rehderi and S.excellens all had seed
germinating inside the dried capsule by the end of summer. I had been
waiting for the capsule to completely dry before harvesting the seed. When
they were dry I opened the capsule to sow the seeds and there inside were a
few little seedlings! They looked a little dehydrated but I was surprised
that they were green. I thought they would/should be colourless due to lack
of light? I potted them on and most have survived. I look at them as special
little seedlings....they have gone through so much as youngsters ;-)

Brian Quinn
Waiheke Island, NZ
coro63@ihug.co.nz