Re: Help with brown drosophyllum leaves

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 14:49:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 06 Jun 97 17:49 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help with brown drosophyllum leaves

> I have two plants of drosophyllum which are one year old. Since their
> germination from seed I always kept them in the same sunny place. About
> every week the lower leaves (i.e. the older ones) start becoming grey/brown
> (i.e. they dry up) so I cut them off because they're obviously dead. My
> question is: is this behaviour normal??

Hi Stefano,

     Yes, most people do cut off dead leaves/traps as these are source
of disease. However, Drosophyllum seems to like it dry enough that
the older leaves can't rot and cause problems. If they bother you,
cut them off. I think I'll leave mine alone. The dead leaves look
like they might offer some support for the stem.

   Do Drosophyllum grow basal rosettes from their base, like Nepenthes
and a couple other CPs? If not, can anyone think of a way to cause
the plants to grow like this? A dab of gibberillins in lanolin to
the base??? Along the same lines, can Droso grow a new growth tip if
an apical meristem cutting (decapitated) is made? I only have two and
can't try any of these things out until I know I have a chance at not
killing them :)

Thanks,
Dave Evans