Red VFT

From: B.Kwan@sci.monash.edu.au
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 02:51:26 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:51:26 +1000
From: B.Kwan@sci.monash.edu.au
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Red VFT

On a different note, as is my habit, I checked out the flytraps
available at the local stores looking for any mutants. To my
surprise, I found several VFTs that had large amounts of red on
their petioles as well as their traps at a local Orchard Supply
Hardware [Sunnyvale, California, U.S.A. store] a couple of weeks
ago. I bought one. Sure enough, it has turned out to be an all
red VFT. The plant is nearly all red now, producing 1.5 new leaves
since I purchased it. I was wondering when all red VFTs would hit
the mass market. It appears they now have. Bloomrite VFTs are
widely available. Over the years I have seen them in drug stores,
hardware stores, and nurseries. I want to make it clear though,
most of the Bloomrite VFTs I saw were the regular colored VFTs.
--Zachary--

My lab produces a number of VFT varieties including wedge shaped teeth
and fully Red Venus Flytraps available. Marketing red varieties here has
been a problem due to the granting of Plant Breeders Rights to a red
variety called 'Royal Red'. We had to prove that our red varieties were
different to his. We ended up doing this by DNA fingerprinting. We
should be able to sell them freely now, but the manager thinks that apart
from novelty value, the standard forms will sell better than red ones.
We are always interested in collecting and breeding any mutants.

Regards Brian