Re: VFT seed

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 11:07:11 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 19:07:11 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT seed

On 15 Jun 97 at 19:48, Shalaka Kulkarni wrote:

> My VFT seed have germinated...at least I think they are VFT. The shiny black
> seed coat is clearly visible and the seed looks very much like the VFT seed
> that I planted. The seedlings, however, do not resemble VFT at all. There is
> a white root coming out of the seed coat and a green area...probably the
> petiole. But I do not see any minature traps or anything. Do the traps only
> become visible after the seed coat had been totally shed?...

They are probably VFT seedlings. They only have small cotyledons
(seed leaves) and might not fully shed the seed-coat. The cotyledons
certainly don't have traps - you should see the first small trap leaf
emerging between the cotyledons, which might still have the seed
attached.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.