Re: Akai Ryu VFT's

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 05:46:27 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:46:27 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Akai Ryu VFT's

     Ron,
      I have about 6 different clones of red vfts, to include the red
     dragon and royal red. I have seen hundreds of red dragons and I will
     say not all plants are created equal. I have seen red dragons which
     were all red, growing next to other red dragons that had a significant
     amount of green in them. As far as comparing the two plants together,
     If you put both plants in full sun side by side, it's would be very
     hard to tell them apart. I would have to look at their labels to be
     sure.
      Peter Pauls Nursery sells a red vft form that grows to a very large
     size. His plants measure up to a 10+ inches across after a few years
     growing. I have several of these clones and was very impressed with
     their size. If I had to pick between these three, I would probably
     select PPN over the other two. Peter's red vft is not quit as red as
     the other two are, but what his lacks in color, they makes up in size.
                               Charles Brewer :)
                             Virginia Beach, Va.

Now that the Akai Ryu's have been officially out for a year or so, has
anybody observed significant differences between it and other all-red
clones like Royal Red? I have the two growing side by side (3+ of each) and
can't see any real differences. Last year before I had them side by side, I
thought the RR was darker, now not. Larger sample size, more observation
and more time may yield something but not yet. Other observations?