RE: Re-introduction of CP into natural habitats...

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 08:14:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 10:14:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Re-introduction of CP into natural habitats...

chuckle,

Hi Paul,

You really like to play with hornets nest, don't you. You've pretty much
described the pro's and con's, now we shall see where the chips fall in this
bunch.

I have been toying with the idea of buying some bog property (or two) in SC
and playing around with cp's in the wild. Bob Hanrahan has done this in AL,
where he has introduced all the species pitcher plants, including many
hybrids plus other cp's. While it's genetically no longer pure, it could
serve as a great educational tool and is a lot of fun for Bob as you can
imagine.

I was thinking of buying two properties because one would be for local cp's,
using only local cp's, thus maintaining genetic purity. The other property
(some distance away) would be for anything I could get to grow. Upon my
death, the property would go to a botanical garden or ICPS or The Nature
Conservancy, whoever is nicest to me.

I think there is room for both views, the purist who wants to keep gene
pools sacred and the "if it'll grow, grow it." It's a rather mute issue,
though, since there are no laws prohibitiing it and since someone else's
opinion has rarely stopped me from doing what I want to do. <grin>

David

P.S. This has already happened in Hogsford bog, just outside Hogsford, FL,
where some chap (or chappette) in the 1930's released VFT into the 1 acre
Hogsford bog. The VFTs are doing just fine along with S. leucophylla and
D. tracyii (or D. filliformis v. tracyii, least I get flamed).

>From: Paul V. McCullough
..