Re[2]: Re-introduction of CP into natural habitats...

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 07:07:16 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:07:16 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re[2]: Re-introduction of CP into natural habitats...

> I hope no one gets crazy over this... I haven't done it yet and I
> won't decide until I can get a consensus of opinion first. Has anyone

Consider me the first to get crazy, followed I'm sure by many others.
There is not one single reason to do what you propose, and dozens NOT to.
I can't imagine why you would say that it is "unlikely" that an introduced
plant would overwhelm, outcompete, exterminate native populations, when
YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT IN ADVANCE. The record of plant and
animal introductions by human agency is almost 100% dismal, with example
after example after example of introduced species lurching reproductively
into the stratosphere in the absence of coevolved controls. Indeed, the
best thing that can happen is for the introduced plants to die out
immediately, and this unfortunately doesn't happen enough. If you think
that carnivorous plants are too specialized for this to apply, think
again. In Mendocino County, California there is a natural bog with a
natural Drosera rotundifolia (the rather different California form)
population, and for some reason over the years various people have felt
the urge to introduce various other carnivores to the bog from various
places. Most of these have just eked out an existence prior to becoming
extinct, but, according to my information, introduced Drosera capensis is
overrunning the bog and apparently eliminating the native plants. I'd
like to know whose bright idea that was to introduce the weed of all
carnivores into a delicate native bog, but the same could have happened
(and might still) even with such delicacies as Heliamphora, which was
introduced to the bog so that local carnivore enthusiasts could have a
"new" plant to enjoy. Sound familiar?

My advice, the advice of eminent community ecologists, zoogeographers,
botanists, systematists throughout the world is that you forget this idea,
as it is a very bad one.

Sean Barry
      If I had to take sides, I would support Sean 100%. I think he has
     supplied a lot of reasons why this is not the best idea, his message
     may be a little strong, but he is certainly trying to make a very
     strong point, not necessary for just you, but for others as well.
      Bogs are very delicate pieces of real-estate and can easily be
     disrupted or destroyed through innocent playing and CPer walking
     around these bogs taking pictures. Your idea has a lot of support to
     it with good intentions, but!...if you are really interested in
     protecting these bogs, get a hold of you local Biological Research
     Center and volunteer your support. I think you will find this very
     rewarding.
                       Charles Brewer
                        Va Beach, Va