Re: Bifid traps... + VFT question

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Sun Jul 13 1997 - 11:47:00 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:47:00 -0700
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bifid traps... + VFT question

Ron Lane wrote:

> Russell,
>
> Just wanted to offer a different opinion. Although I enjoy the appearance
> of 'normal' VFTs and marvel at how they could have evolved, I think the
> plant we are discussing here is quite attractive and very interesting for a
> mutation. While it probably could not out-compete its much more common
> non-mutated form (no plans to re-introduce to test the theory - sorry Paul
> 8^) ), it intrigues me to look at this mutation and think about what kind
> of genetic anomalies could have created it. The more common dentate and
> even the all-red clones are easier to envision how they were messed up -
> but in this clone - how the teeth were somehow combined at the base and
> then grow continually thinner until the end boggles my imagination. In
> other words - what combination of genetic changes would push it to form
> teeth that do look like shark's teeth? And to add to the question - the
> teeth only appear in this form when the plant approaches adulthood (at
> least in my plant).

 Ron,

 Doesn't sound as if we are talking about the same plant. The one
Dingleys sell doesn't have any well defined "teeth", rather they are
tiny little rounded nubs. It is a natural mutation that also occurs
in my normal plants every so often. Has the "shark tooth" VFT you are
talking about have extra long "teeth"?? My plant is still juvenile, so
it may not have started making its "teeth"

Bye for now,

        -Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !