Reintroducing CP into natural bogs- NOT!

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 12 1997 - 20:24:56 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 23:24:56 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Reintroducing CP into natural bogs- NOT!

    Let's hear it for CP-Digest 1140! Good info (and some silliness)!
Internet timing problems aside, I thought it important to respond to
each- but this would tie up pages and bore a great many. So I'll name
each person and my opinion on their comments- I love a good debate!

    Before I do, I'd like to point out that many went off on a tangent
(or on some personal agenda) that had nothing to do with my original
posting- I stated an interest in planting d. capillaris SEEDS and d.
rotundifolia SEEDS into natural bog areas. Never did I say I would be
planting full grown plants (with their dirt intact full of gremlins
poised to destroy the natural bogs of NJ...). I also stated the reasons
I thought this was a bad idea and why I thought it was a good idea to
plant seeds. It was somewhat redundant to have these lists read back to
me as if I never posted them. People on this list also need to
understand that newbies (like me) pop up occasionally and have no
connection to OLD arguments. Suppress your old feelings (if the topic
really makes you hot) and try to present balanced arguments.

    As far as I can tell, only Marj Boyer read my entire original
posting and responded in a fair and even manner. (Thank you, Marj... if
I hadn't already made my choice not to pursue this action, your
arguments would have made that choice for me. I commend your
professional and eminently rational explanations.)

    Sean Barry, you're very compassionate about this- I'm sleeping with
one eye open.

    Charles Brewer, great proposals- I'll probably do that and more.

    David Mellard- good luck. btw- things would be pretty dull if no
one had a differing opinion, right? Never be afraid to get the bugs
buzzing...

    Wayne Forrester- okay... but I think the state has every right to
try to save VFTs by introducing them here if NJ botanists (etc, etc,
etc) give the green light- wouldn't you agree? Its probably not true,
anyway.

    Marj Boyer- believe me, I would have gotten permission from the
state before going in their bogs (or whoever the bogs belong to...).
Again, I wonder if artificial bogs in people's backyards pose (in the
ways you and Sean Barry list) the same risks to natural bogs. After
all, how are we quarantining them?

    And let's think about this one, shall we? No one seems willing to
field this sticky question. Think about this one carefully... is there
a limit to the range of genetic contamination? Is there a limit to pest
ranges? Disease ranges? I'm assuming that most outdoor (backyard) bogs
come from the very commercial plants that pose all of the possible
threats to local natural bogs. (say within ten miles... fifty
miles...one hundred miles?)

    John Phillips- if the seeds carried this many problems, they'd never
go anywhere.

    John Phillips, part II- By the way John, I happen to like humans.
Many of them are my best friends. Also, humans ARE a natural species...
where were you going with this?

    Paul Burkhardt- good arguments. Thank you.

    Jeff Welch- really cool idea! Thank you.

    Sean Barry- comments above and in email to you.

    Russell Elliott- I think that's way off from my original post, but
thanks.

    Russell Elliott- part II, a nice idea. Got any seeds you don't
want? :)

    Phew- as most of you know by now, I've decided not to do the "evil"
deed. I think a great service would be for people to read an entire
post before they start clacking those keys. (I suspect a few may have
started typing at seeing the Subject line...) Rest assured that no
seeds shall be planted in any bogs, covertly or otherwise, by me, my
family, my associates or my friends, co-workers or cousins named "Fred".

    I have decided instead to devote my non-CP time to a better pursuit:
the crossing of rabbits with chickens! (WE NEED THIS!!!) :)

    In all seriousness, thank you for the debate- and thanks to all of
those who wrote with differing (saying, go for it, dude!) opinions to me
personally. Your opinions have been noted. Your identities shall
remain secure. (although... in fact... they are: -=transmission ends=-)

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough