Problem mould on Nepenthes compost

From: BillSherren (william.sherren@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 14:18:27 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:18:27 +-100
From: BillSherren <william.sherren@ukonline.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Problem mould on Nepenthes compost

I would be grateful for any help regarding the following problem.
Currently I am growing most of my Nepenthes plants in a closed cabinet. =
The compost for my plants is either live sphagnum moss mixed with orchid =
compost & extra perlite. Or orchid compost, pertlite & a small amount of =
moss peat.
In both cases I am getting an annoying cotton wool type mould covering =
the surface of the compost. I have sprayed regulary with a fungicide, =
with no improvement. I end up scraping off the top layer of compost, but =
the mould always returns.
Only by venting the cabinet, does the mould disappear, but so does the =
humidity as well!! HELP!
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Bill Sherren

bill.sherren@ukonline.co.uk