Re: Dionea traps

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 22 1997 - 11:24:42 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:24:42 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dionea traps

On 20 Jul 97 at 17:47, Matt wrote:

> The traps of my dionea plants fail to regenerate when they turn black
> and I take them off. I think I might be clipping them off too far
> away from the leaf, because when I clip them off there is the leaf,
> but I also leave on the little piece that connects the trap to the
> leaf. Should I cut that little piece off? None of the traps grow back
> after digesting an insect, turning black, and then being pinched off
> the plant to let a new one grow.

Really the plant coudn't care less whether you leave dead traps on,
or cut them off, with or without the little stalk. All this fussing
about is to keep humans happy - not the plant. It sounds though like
you are expecting to get another trap from the same leaf stalk.
You don't - hopefully the result of a trap having fed well on insects
is that more new traps, on new stalks, grow from the centre of the
plant.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Frogspawn, etc.