Re: Darlingtonia, Ron and rebuttles.

From: Ron Schlosser (rons@earthworld.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 21:01:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:01:13 -0800
From: Ron Schlosser <rons@earthworld.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Darlingtonia, Ron and rebuttles.

On 21-Jul-97, Andrew Marshall wrote:
>Hello Folks, Hello Ron,
>I normally don't get bent out of shape by letter like the one
>below. At least not enough to bother you folk with it, however I am
>this time. Justifiable is your opinion and I accept any fair critisism
>that may come my way because of it.

(snip)

>> *only* way you can keep your roots cool, but I'm surprised that Andrew (who
>> lives near Seattle) would *even* suggest that to Sara who is in Grants Pass
>> practically in the heart of Darlingtonia country.

>Good for you, Ron!:-) I have no idea what your problem is today,
>and why you seem to be so rough about it. I am surprised that you would
>get so heated up, especially since we know each other and you should have
>e-mailed me personally if you wanted to have a go at me.

     Andrew, first of all let me publicly and profusely apologize to you if I
offended you in any way. It was *not* my intention to publicly criticise you
or your growing methods or suggestions, I realize that you were trying to help
a fellow hobbyist who has had problems growing the plant, and upon re-reading
the quote I can see how and why you'd think that. Again, I *never* meant to
offend you in *anyway*. Sorry.

     Folks, in stating that I was surprised at Andrew's suggestion that Sara
should use a styrofoam container when she lives in Darlintonia country, I had
forgotten a *very* important thing which Sara pointed out to me in her
response, and that was that although she is in the same *geographical* area,
she is in a different *climatological* area. The area is more like our
climate of central Oregon, in the rain shadow of a mountain range and hence is
dryer and hotter that where the Darlingtonia grow and indeed where I live.

     Andrew, I am glad you called me on this. Your were right that we need to
be able to offer any and all other alternatives that we know of to help fellow
hobbyists grow their plants. I had forgotten that anything posted here is
read around the world by many people, some of whom may have dealt with you
before. I never meant to imply that any of your growing suggestions were
wrong, I should have just mentioned how I have grown my plants without any
reference to you. I hope you accept my apology and we can move on.