Re: water absorption in Nepenthes pitchers

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 20:31:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 23 Jul 97 23:31 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: water absorption in Nepenthes pitchers

> From: "Scott Vergara" <svergara@PACIFIC.TELEBYTE.COM>
>
> A question regarding Nepenthes water absorption though their pitchers. I
> have noticed that on very hot days, fluid levels in the pitchers of my N.
> alata and N. ventricosa drop more than would be accounted for via surface
> evaporation. Has there been any research done on the rate of absorption of
> "excess" water from Nepenthes pitchers? I overhead water my plants in the
> greenhouse and so the pitchers often get water in them.

I haven't heard of any such research. I have noticed the same effect
in my plants, however. I think the plants keep themselves balanced by
using water in the pitchers when they are in drier conditions and
add back to it when they have extra water available. I suppose this
is similar to the water tanks seen in airplants, but the effect isn't
as complete as Nepenthes are often rooted in the ground...

> A secondary but related question. Pitchers formed last growing season
> still contain fluid but the pitcher has begun to die back from the
> peristome (lip). Do these pitchers still actively absorb nutrients?

Yes they can, but I don't know if they can still digest new prey.
It probably doesn't matter though, as there will be plenty of bacteria
to breakdown additional prey.

Dave Evans