P.variegata

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Jul 25 1997 - 01:59:26 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 17:59:26 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: P.variegata

--------

To Lloyd, Juerg, Jan, and other Ping fans,

        On Wednesday I met Isao-san and we went to the Nippon Dental University
 (after seeing the beautiful CP exposition he is helping to organize at a big
department store here in Tokyo) where Shibata-san showed us the video she made
of her trip to Sakhalin (sp.?) Island, located N of Japan in Russia. Other than
 D.rotundifolia and D.anglica, she also found the rare P.variegata in
fantastically numerous colonies, completely covering the ground with flowers!!
The rosettes were very small, although larger than P.ramosa, and grew in very
compact groups, the individuals indistinguishable from each other.
Most impressive of all was to see how similar this species is to Japanese
endemic P.ramosa!! The flowers had the same white/purple/yellow coloring, only
appeared to be larger on P.variegata, which also had slightly curved scapes,
in a faint "S" formation. But these were thicker and longer, as well as not
branched. Some plants had no purple on the flowers and looked like P.alpina.
I even saw some of the live specimens she had brought back.

Best Wishes (and eat your heart out Juerg!!),

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan