Re: Alien invaders

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 31 1997 - 12:57:18 PDT

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:57:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Alien invaders

> Dear All
>
> Someone forwarded this message to me and before I reply has anyone anything
> to add to the debate:
>
> >In the far north of New Zealand a Sarracenia species - possibly S.
> >flava - has been found to have naturalised for the first time in this
> >country. Can anyone help with information on the naturalised range of
> >this species and comments on its potential to invade wetland or shrub
> >communities.
> >
> >I look forward to your response.
> >
> >Dr Carol J. West
> >Conservancy Advisory Scientist
> >Southland Conservancy
> >Department of Conservation
> >PO Box 743
> >Invercargill
> >

> I have heard a lot about Utricularia species getting out of hand in
> many countries, but not S. flava.
>
> Madeleine

I would be extremely surprised to find that any of the Sarrs. were able to "get
out of hand" in an environment. While they might flourish in small areas, IMHO
their limited capacity for seed dispersal and vegetative reproduction do not
contribute to the ability to invade. They would be far less threatened if they
were a little more aggresive -HA!

Tom in Fl.