Re: Orchids and Sarracenias

From: James Aldridge (jaldr@onramp.net)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 06:36:37 PDT

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 13:36:37 GMT
From: jaldr@onramp.net (James Aldridge)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Orchids and Sarracenias

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 06:18:44 -0700, you wrote:

>Watching a gardening programme on TV last week, I saw an expert divide
>an orchid much as we would divide a Sarracenia. However when potting
>up the divisions, the expert made a point of putting the the plant at =
the side
>of the new pot.

Sympodial orchids typically grow in a linear "along the tree" fashion, so=
 they
are repotted near the edge of the pot to allow for maximal growth in this
direction. The other major growth habit in orchids, monopodial, is not =
like this
and such orchids grow more or less "up" and so are potted in a normal, =
centered
fashion.

Jim

James Aldridge - Fort Worth, Texas, USA