Re: Orchids and Sarracenias

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 06:51:07 PDT

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:51:07 -0400
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Orchids and Sarracenias

 I saw an expert divide an orchid much as we would divide a Sarracenia.
However when pottingup the divisions, the expert made a point of putting the
the plant at the side of the new pot. Does anyone know why, and could this
logic also apply to Sarracenias?
 I use a similar technique when re potting Sarr's. I take the end that was cut
and plant it all the way to the back of the pots edge. The growing tip is now
facing towards the middle of the pot. I use this method to allow the plant to
grow an additional year before I have to re pot it again. Although, it may look
better if the plant was re potted in the middle of the pot and all pitchers
stayed there as well, but this is not the case as the plant grows, it also
creeps forward.
                       Charles Brewer
                        Va Beach, Va