RE: Orchids and Sarracenias

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 06:37:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:37:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Orchids and Sarracenias

Hi Nigel,

Cattleya and many other orchids have a growing point that grows
horizontally, and it will periodically send a pseudobulb upwards.
Other orchids, like phalanopsis and vandas, have growing points that
only grow upwards. That's why the gardener positioned the orchid at the
side of the pot with the growing point facing towards the center of the
pot to give it more room to grow horizontially. It seems reasonable to
do the same with Sarr.

David
To: Multiple recipients of list

Watching a gardening programme on TV last week, I saw an expert divide
an orchid much as we would divide a Sarracenia. However when potting
up the divisions, the expert made a point of putting the the plant at
the side
of the new pot. Does anyone know why, and could this logic also apply
Sarracenias?

Good Growing, NigelH