Re: Sarracenia alata

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 04 1997 - 07:14:58 PDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia alata

> I have some S. alata seedlings that I plan to keep outside on my balcony
> during winter. I have heard that S. alata is the S. which is growing at the
> most southern latitude. Does that imply that it is not as hardy as other
> Sarracenias? The average temperature in Denmark during Jan.-Feb. is
> normally between -1 and +1 Celsius.

> Niels Asger Nielsen
> MAPP researcher, Msc
> Denmark

S. minor is the southern most growing Sarr. by several hundred miles at least.
S. alata grows more or less in an arc from Texas to roughly the edge of Florida
along the gulf coast. Typically, the Sarrs. can take freezing for short
periods. I have had them frozen into their pots for a week or two at a time
when I lived in the midwest of the US. However, a long hard freeze of several
months would probably be very hard on them. Canadian or northern US growers
can tell you more.

Tom in Fl(orida) US