Nepenthes advice for Pogany

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 04:57:07 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 07:57:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes advice for Pogany

Mark Pogany wrote:

> I have an N. Gracilis growing in a 20 gallon aquarium tank in my
> bedroom...... The plant has numerous 2 inch pitchers at regular
> intervals ... and is about 14 inches tall from the media to the
> growth point.

> It is starting to outgrow the tank. Can I take a cutting yet? Where do I
> do this? Can I stick the cutting in water in order for it to root or
> should I make up another pot and plant it? How about using Rootone?

You have a couple of options here.

If you choose to take a cutting then try to get one with at least three
nodes. Two will work sometimes, but three has been better in my
experience. For one cutting, cut the vine at a point in between two
nodes, 3 or 4 nodes down from the growth tip. Depending on
the internodal spacing, that might take your 14" vine down to about 8".

Rooting techniques vary. I use Rootone, and I also remove the distal
half of each leaf. This technique has worked well for me on a variety
of Nepenthes. Others have reported good results by rooting in
water.

The other option can be interesting. You can try to promote basal
growth by fixing the growth tip of your plant below the level of
the pot. If the 14" vine is supple enough, bend it so that it arches
to the side of the pot and the growth tip is below the roots. Tie
it there, or put a weight on the end of the vine to keep it in this
position. Often (but not always) this will promote a basal shoot
to grow from the roots. It depends on the health of the plant, the
extent of the root system, etc. but sometimes you can see results
in a month.

Regards,

Perry Malouf