RE: NJ Bogs, part IV

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 06:17:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:17:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: NJ Bogs, part IV

To: Multiple recipients of list

> According to "Carnivorous Plants of the World" (Pietropaolo),
>"Leaves usually form a rosette, but when the environment is extremely
>wet, the leaves develop on an elongated stem." What you are seeing is
>d. intermedia's evolved solution to a rather sticky (no pun intended)
>situation.

This explains the D. capillaris I saw in a bog in the Florida panhandle.
There were typical, low-lying rosettes along with a drosera that looked
somewhat inbetween capillaris and intermedia based on leaf shape and
length, yet no intermedia were present in the bog. I noticed, though,
that the odd capillaris seemed to be growing submerged or partially
submerged in water whereas the typical capillaris was found more often
on drier (but still wet) ground.

David