Re: URGENT Regarding Darlingtonia bog being logged!

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 13:28:33 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: URGENT Regarding Darlingtonia bog being logged!

Charles Brewer asked me if the California Department of Forestry has an
email address. As far as I know, they do not. But even if they do (as a
quick net-search may reveal) I would not recommend using it.

The reason is that phone calls and email messages can be easily deleted,
erased, or forgotten. Even printing out an email message can take a
certain effort on the part of the recipient. But hardcopy letters and
FAXes are substantial and material.

You may think that your letter doesn't count, but it actually does. I
didn't believe this until I had the chance to observe a legal battle when
I was a graduate student---my department wanted to build a facility on top
of a mountain that also housed a subspecies of red squirrel. A long court
and political battle ensued. Senators etc actually do count the letters
that people send in! It is surprising.

Barry Meyers-Rice