Re: surpise D. intermedia

From: Davin George (biopcs@iconz.co.nz)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 20:17:38 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:17:38 +1200 (NZST)
From: Davin George <biopcs@iconz.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: surpise D. intermedia

Just a couple of comments...

> No, it's mostly from Ocean County, NJ; but I have collected from all
> over the east coast. I can't see any reason for labelling the location
> data, as all the plants look the same. For this species, I feel data
> location data worth keeping would be if the plants were from another

I feel I've got to say something about this. I believe we should be
keeping locating names mainly for one reason. That being the
reintroduction of the species if the present plants are destroyed etc.
This way we'll at least be able to repopulate with native plants from the
region. Definitely something I keep track of myself and probably more so
with Mt Ruapehu being a bit more active than it used to. If the thing did
go bang we've some plants that we can look at reintroducing. Of course
this will take some time to do but definitely worth it. Afterall we don't
want to loose our native species.

> county, like Cuba or somewhere in South America where the climate is
> completely different and so then might the plants' needs. Sarracenia
> is a different story, as some species are different from state to state

Come on people, why not save our natives before worrying about the
exotics. Just because its foreign doesn't mean it needs more attention
that our native species.

Davin

Just my $0.02