Re: How to kill pests

From: Wim Leys (wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 09:32:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:32:53 -0700
From: Wim Leys <wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: How to kill pests

Hi Cyril

> Hello to all from France

Hello to all, and to those from France too. ;-)

> I have yet another problem with my beloved plants.
> I noticed this morning little green pests (about 1/2 mm long)
> on my D. Capensis flower stalks, then I looked all the others plants
> and realized they had spread all over the pot.

I have not yet found an insecticide that does't harm Drosera's. I can't
really say I tested hundreds of different products, but for each and
every I did, the leaves stopped producing dewdrops; only the next
generation of leaves would start secreting droplets again.

I found that submerging the plants in plain rainwater for 1/2 to 2 days
(depending on what bugs the plant) to be very efficient in controlling
pests on CP's in general (Sarracenia, Drosera, Dionaea, terrestrial and
aquatic :) Utricularia, Genlisea, Heliamphora). This treatment may have
to be repeated when new insects emerge from the soil.

I have never done this with Cephalotus, but they can be sprayed with
Malation.

Hope this helps

Kind regards
Wim