Re: Brazilian Expedition part 15

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 18:17:01 PDT

Date:          Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:17:01
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Brazilian Expedition part 15

Dear Fernando,

Thanks for your carefully cut pieces of information on your field
exploration in Brazil. I have a few questions or comments regarding
part 15 which might be of some public interest.

> The only other option I could fathom was D.communis. Unfortunately I
> am not too familiar with D.roraimae and could not remember what characteristics
> place it apart from D.communis other than seed shape. And the size of the
> plants was just too incredible to be D.communis! The leaves in D.communis vary
> between 4-15mm in length, but these specimens had leaves 18-33mm in length!!

Why did you exclude _D. capillaris_? Just because this was not
at the coast? Seeds would be of very much help in this case. Any
chance to obtain some sometime?

> D.sessilifolia is the only truly annual species I know in Brazil and
> unfortunately it was still too early in the season to see it in flower. In fact
> I have only seen its pink-lilac flowers once, when I first saw this species in
> the wild back in 92 at the Pantanal flood plain in W Brazil. Although
> widespread (probably the most widespread species in S.America, rivalled only by
> D.communis),

Both _D. capillaris_ and _D. brevifolia_ and especially _D.
intermedia_ are more widely spread than these species (they extend
beyond S America) but they are of course less frequent in S Am (or
less frequently identified correctly?).

Kind regards
Jan