Re: Genetic Diversity

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 08:49:45 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 10:49:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Genetic Diversity

Hi Benjamin,

> It might be argued that if genetic drift in the wild is so much slower,
> why is it not better to transplant the same species from one location to
> another? I would just point out that the rate of change in slower, but
> it has probably been going on for a much longer time than any seed
> collection could possibly have been kept. Thus, the collection is more
> likely to imitate the original than a transplant.
>
> Sincerely,
> Benjamin F. Lasseter

Very good point, but as a colleague of mine pointed out, not all
individuals at a cite display the same morphological characteristics. What
you propose is plausible for a uniform population, but when you begin to
get individuals with noticeable differences, are they still representative
of that line?

This is not an argument against location data, as many now know that I am
a big supporter of keeping records of origin. I would like to point out
that location data is a way to historically mark a wild population,
whether you have an individual which displays the normal characteristics,
or one which is a genetic variant of the group.

> P.S.
> > Actually, the text above was from me (i.e. Paul Burkhardt).

What?

Paul Burkhardt