Re:pollinate Mimosa

From: Larry Mellichamp (fbi00tlm@unccvm.uncc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 20 1997 - 14:04:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:04:39 -0500
From: Larry Mellichamp <fbi00tlm@unccvm.uncc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:pollinate Mimosa

 Topic No. 13

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:41:18 +0000
> From: Matt <drake@erols.com>
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Pollination and Seedpods
>
> I pollinated my dionea (VFT) and it has produced seed pods. How do I
> know when to take them off the plant?
> also:
> Does anybody know how to pollinate Mucosa Pudica (Sensitive Plant).
> Its flowers have ALOT of pollen, but no stamen that I have noticed.
> How the heck do you pollinate a flower with no stamen!!!! :)
> Thanks

Take a small water color paint brush and gently flick it across the
pollen three or so hours after the flower has opened. If all goes
well you should see a small cloud of pollen go into the air. Seed
production should follow.

The flowers on these plants do not last long. At best I would say
you have a five hour window in which to pollinate them.

I hate to answer a non-CP questions, but it does present a good oppoortunity
for a principle to be explained. The Mimosa pudica (not Mucosa) flowers
occur in a 1 inch ball of many flowers. The MALE portion of the flowers, the
stamens, open first in the morning. They shed pollen for half the day. In
the afternoon, the male stamens wither and the female PISTIL (not stamen)
becomes receptive. This is when it needs to get some pollen, preferably off
another plant that is in its male sstage, but another flower of same plant
will do (or maybe same flower head). By "flicking" pollen in late morning
(the 5 hour window mentioned) you may get some pollen on the
just-becoming-receptive stigmas of the Pistil. This will result in seed
set. The flowers cannot self-pollinate; they must be mechanically
cross-pollinated. If you do nothing, and no insects are present, no seeds
will form. On the morning of the second day, the 1 inch flower head will
show only white stigmas protruding, the stamens of the previous day having
wilted completely. Thus, the same flowers are male first, then female later
- an ingenious method of being bisexual but discouraging self fertilization.
By the way, I grow the mimosa sitting in water (it can be quite deep) and it
grows lushly. Try it in standing water in a tray with Sarracenias. There is
also a truly aquatic floating relative called Neptunia, that has sensitive
leaves and forms spongy pontoons of floatation tissue. All like full sun
and are not winter hardy.
Larry Mellichamp
Biology Dept.
UNC Charlotte