Barry's FAQ

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 1997 - 15:04:17 PDT

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:04:17 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Barry's FAQ

surfer1@arn.net wrote:

> After reading the email that Barry forwarded to the list on Friday
> August 15, I had to read Barry's FAQ for myself. Let me tell you, this
> person makes a lot of valid points. First of all, Barry does make it
> sound as though every flytrap is doomed for the compost. I don't live in
> an area that resembles the NC coast (who does?), in fact, I grow most of
> my CP in fish aquariums under lights. My son read the FAQ on flytraps
> and immediately walked over to our 5 year old flytraps and said, "why
> are you still alive after so many years?" Get my, not so subtle, point?

    Actually, I decided to return to Barry's CP FAQ to verify what
you're saying, Surfer1. I think you're taking Barry's well delivered
point out of context. All Barry is saying is that most VFTs bought in
stores by first time buyers end up dead. This is absolutely true. I
know everyone on this list has had the experience of telling someone
about our little hobby only to have that person say something like, "oh
yeah... I had a Venus' Fly Trap a few years back!" and then the clincher
"it died!". You also get the, "Venus' Fly Traps are a big rip off...
they're designed to die so you keep buying more...(I always love that
one)". Barry is suggesting that the VFT may be a tough plant to start
out with for growing CP (And it is...) and rather then kill a
youngster's (or an oldster's) budding interest in CP, why not get some
first hand experience with a less challenging plant. Barry recommends
d. capensis, which many would call a veritable weed. I'd suggest d.
adelae- even though it acts more like a butterwort for trapping- my
adelaes ARE weeds.

    Barry does go on to say:

     "First, consider returning the plant to the store. After all, the
plant was probably illegally collected from the wild anyway, and you
would be supporting immoral businesses if you kept it...(complain about
this when you return the plant, too!)"

    ... a statement that I find rather odd, but maybe this refers to
information I'm not privy to. As for complaining to the store
clerk/salesperson, believe me that such complaints almost never
accomplish anything. We salespeople are too busy with far too many
other things then receiving complaints of this nature. If you really
want to get results (Because you KNOW FOR A FACT that a vendor is
shipping illegally collected plants, not because its a "probable"
thing... you could be killing a reputable business off!), write or talk
to the store manager and NC's CP conservation officers.

    Barry then goes on to say that if you still want to attempt VFT,
here's how to do it the right way...

    I would like to go on record to say that I find Barry's CP FAQ an
indispensable work- I've referred to it on many occasions, and I'll
continue to do so. Sometimes to make a point you have to be a little
harsh. I don't think Barry's comments would dissuade or discourage
anyone (young or old) from growing CP... just from growing them badly.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul V. McCullough