OFF TOPIC, Giant Sequoia

From: Wim Leys (wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 16:41:51 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:41:51 -0700
From: Wim Leys <wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: OFF TOPIC, Giant Sequoia

Sorry for posting this to the CP list, but I hope someone will be able
to help me or give me some directions on where to look for help.

I have been able to grow a number of Sequoiadendron giganteum trees from
seed. They are now in their third growing season and about 50 cm in
heigth.

I noticed some brown branches this spring, but didn't pay much attention
to it, I thought the cat had done it (he bites in nearly eveything that
grows in the garden, the CP's in the greenhouse had to be prtected from
him).

Now this browning of the branches is getting worse. It occurs on each
and every tree. It starts somewhere on a branch and spreads toward both
sides, when the thicker branch is reached (from which the infected
branch originates) the part towards the top of the thicker branch
whithers and dies. I noticed the typical growth of fungus hairs on the
oldest brown parts.

Can anyone tell me what is causing it (a fungus I think), what can be
done against it in the short time (fungicide ?) and in the long time
(improvements on the growing conditions) ?

The trees grow outside in full sun.

Kind regards
Wim