Re: Terrarium

From: Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 07:51:21 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 07:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wayne Forrester <forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Terrarium

Hi,

        Drosophyllum plants are very sensitive to too much moisture.
I grow mine on the windowsill, and they seem to do well there. Unless
your humidity is exceptionally low, you might want to reconsider this. If
you do try them in a terrarium, be very careful to proved excellent
drainage, so that the plant do not rot. Others may be able to
give more helpful advice on growing Drosophyllum in terraria.

        I would not recommend using incandescent lamps. Fluorescent lamps
seem to work pretty well. I have a number of plants growing under
fluorescent lamps for several years that do quite well. Obviously, you
will need to stick with short stature plants, if your tank is low. These
would include many sundews, venus flytraps (although I find that these
may not get enough light to really thrive if only grown under fluorescent
lights), short pitchers like S. purpurea and perhaps Heliamphora if your
conditions permit. Hope this helps.

Wayne
forrestr@mendel.berkeley.edu