Re: Re: Baking Soda treatment

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 13:40:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 29 Aug 97 16:40 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Baking Soda treatment

> > -- I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to grow plants in
> > "plain old potting soil" that's neither particularly acidic nor base nor
> Nevertheless I've tried to grow a sample of D_muscipula in a more
> "plain" potting soil. I used a mix 1:1 of peat and "universal" potting
> soil, I plant it in a 8in. pot and leave it outdoor (I live in Rome,
> Italy) half shaddow. The plant looks very well, 1 in. traps, red inside,
> it flowered and produced seeds.
> In the same pot a few plants of Drosera_aliciae and D_binata thrive also
> very well even if D_binata doesn't look as well as other plants that I
> grow in a greenhouse. Does anybody try different potting soils for
> growing any Drosera species?

Hello Roberto and List,

    You can use soil with some fertilizer. My ourdoor bogs have had lots
of enriched garden soil drift in. Along with lot's of weeds. Anyway,
CP have the *ADVANTAGE* in nutrient poor soil because they eat bugs and
get more Nitrogen than their neighbors. However, they will loose their
"edge" in better soil - the weeds will grow too fast and choke out the
CP's. But if you weed on a regular basis, then your CP will grow faster
for having a little extra nutrient than CP without. Just don't use more
than 1/3 or 1/4 potting soil and similar strengths for fertilizers (1/4
house plant strength.)

Dave Evans