Charles's use of "small frogs" for VFT food

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 06:59:53 PDT

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 12:59:53 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Charles's use of "small frogs" for VFT food

Hi Prion, regarding shade-loving CPs, some of the choicer Mexican Pings live
on vertical cliff faces which get little or no direct sun. At the UK CPS AGM,
Stan Lampard showed some slides and also expressed the opinion that the Pings
might be able to suck all the moisture they need from the air through their leaves.
I bought a couple of Pings at the meeting - they are growing in a very humid
propagator out of direct sun and I haven't watered them since getting them. They
are growing well and looking good with lots of mucilage on the leaves. No sign
of flowers though.

A thought about the baking soda controversy - I planted some acid-loving docks
in some dirt that included chalk, and their leaves became flushed with red. My
guess is that if the quantity of baking soda is too small to kill the CPs (if that is
what it will do), then it might well enhance the colour of CPs.

BTW, which is the Sarracenia that lives in non-acid conditions?

Apologies for not answering e-mails recently - due to a serious family illness
I haven't been in the office much so I haven't had access to my mailbox. Thanks
for your patience.

Regards, NigelH