Re: Sarracenia during dormancy :)

From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 07 1997 - 04:33:30 PDT

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 07:33:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Sarracenia during dormancy :)

Hello all! Brian here...Well,I've been hearing all the reports about Sarrs
going dormant,and the same is happening here in Florida...My S.flava and
S.flava hybrids went semi-dormant about a month ago{probably due to hot
conditions..} , with S.leuco being dormant since mid summer.Yes,things are
beginning to "sleep",so to speak..The leucos are beginning to put out their
Fall traps,which are always nicer than the Spring ones..I'm looking forward
to the beginning of my Winter growing plants..{tuberous Drosera,etc.} Here's
what i do every year to my Sarrs at this time,and for several years,it hasn't
let me down!! When growth ceases and phyllodia appear,I trim back all dead
pitchers,and and one final "peat tea"treatment..Then,all plants are kept
outside the greenhouse,in the shade, with watering only done by hand keeping
the soil only moist through the winter..Since i live only a few hours south
of these plants' habitat,I know that they only need a winter min. of 45 to 50
degrees to rest well,with the Fl. highs reaching 70 to 75 sometimes in
Winter!!!!!!I think the key to successful "assisted dormancy" in Sarrs is
,Keep that soil temp. down! and keep it dryer!!I've left all of my Sarrs in
the pots,in the shade,and drier with great results...But, keep that dead
growth removed!!! it's deadly to them when they're dormant!! Anyone else use
this method????? Let me know and i hope this helps someone ...Peace ,and
grow on !...Bri :)