Re: your mail

From: Chris Teichreb (cjt@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 10 1997 - 11:59:01 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjt@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: your mail

Hi all,

> I would like to comment on the following that dry ice will thaw quickly and
> probably give too much CO2 (risk of overdose) for a too short time. I read
> that with tomatoes they have used approx 4% CO2 in the air to enhance growth
> by 30%. A easier way to obtain this in a less risky way is by mixing water
> sugar and yeast in a quite large bottle and use a hose to lead the CO2 from
> the fermentation into the terrarium with the plants. This would give CO2 at
> a even rate for a couple of days-one week and then you make a new solution
> because the ethanol produced will inhibit the growth of the yeast.
>
> Anders Espefalt

        I agree with Anders on this issue. Putting dry ice in a
terrarium will result in too much CO2 being released at one time and will
probably freeze all the plants.

        I have not used the yeast fermentation method above on CP's, but
I have used it (as have many others) on aquatic plants with great
success. If you do a search on the web, you should be able to find DIY
resources regarding a 2L pop bottle CO2 'production factory'. Not the
most efficient way, but definitely the cheapest. Look in the archives of
the aquatic-plant mailing group for detailed discussions on CO2 injection
and ways to set-it up.

Regards,

Chris

Chris Teichreb