CP Books

From: Leigh.Perkins@sset.com
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 12:14:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:14:43 -0700
From: Leigh.Perkins@sset.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP Books

     Tim Malcolm wrote:

>I've read the peitropaulo book and, diplomacy aside, didn't think it
>was all that great. I also think that since such strange
>conservation ideas are expressed so prominantly that its almost a
>shame that its
>so widely available. I found that, as an absolute beginner the Slack
>book, carnivorous plants and how to grow them was much more
>approachable and practical, especially what he says about growing
>them indoors without any special equipment.

>I must add though that I'm just a beginner and can't back up any of
>my opinions with actual long-term experience, although I haven't
>managed to kill anything yet.

     I too have to reflect this opinion, though I found the description of
     the plants and taxonomy to be really informative in the PP book,
     Slack's book far outstrips this in it's efforts to stop, as he calls
     it, the death roll of VFTs. I purchased this book back in '91, and
     still use this as my key reference for growing. It's good knowing
     what the plants are, but keeping them alive is something else again.

     Leigh Perkins