Terrarium advice please

From: Andrew Bate (cp@astilla.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 02:06:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:06:14 GMT
From: Andrew Bate <cp@astilla.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Terrarium advice please

Hi,

I have at last started to set up my terrarium (4x1x1.5' high aquarium)
and need a bit of advice about what to do at the bottom of it. I have
currently set it up with a 4' grolux tube at the top of the tank and
have put about 1.5" of wet horticultural silver sand at the bottom
with a soil warming cable layed into it. This currently provides a
temperature of 22.5C (it is thermostatically set so I could change it)
and a humidty of around 80%. I have a heliamphora and a couple of
small highland nepenthes to go in it and I will be just placing them
on small blocks of polystyrene to lift them above the wet sand.

Anyway, enough of the background info, my question is: would it be ok
to break up some live sphagnum moss over the sand to try and start a
bed of moss growing at the bottom of the terrarium or would this
increase the chance of disease problems in the tank. Also, would it
actually start to grow on the sand over the soil warming cable?

Insight gratefully accepted... :-)

Andrew
--=20
Andrew Bate