Re: Photoperiod for Neps & Heliamphora?

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 10:07:03 PDT

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 13:07:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Photoperiod for Neps & Heliamphora?

I responded to Andrew Bate thusly:

>.... I keep all my Neps. under
> >light for 14 hours, they don't seem to mind. Probably
> >the intensity over time is more important than the
> >actual photoperiod (+/- 2 hours).

and he replied:

> That was what I was wondering... I have one 3' grolux tube about 10"
> away from the Nepenthes and I don't know if the intensity is enough.
> My terrarium has only just been set up and I am trying to find out if
> I am doing the right thing before the plants start to die on me! :-)

It's hard to over-do fluorescent lighting. THe only danger I
can think of is accumulation of heat from all those ballasts.

I used to have 14 four-foot tubes which took up a ceiling
area of roughly 4 feet by 5 feet. The tubes illuminated
an identical area where the plants were, and there was a
two-foot distance from the tubes. I also covered the arrangement
with reflective Mylar. THat was a LOT of light and the plants
loved it. Also, there was enough air circulation to prevent
accumulation of too much heat.

I don't know how large your terrarium is. Perhaps one or
two more tubes, with a good reflector, would make the
plants happier. Watch out for heat build-up.

Regards,

Perry Malouf