Re: Sara's Blooming Nepenthes

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 18:00:02 PDT

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 21:00:02 -0400
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sara's Blooming Nepenthes

>my N.Kampoliana X N. ventricosa has a large flower
>spike!! Is this the right time of year or am I confused?

Trent here in Richard Brown's office. A tidbit of info for Sara. The
hybrid N. kampotiana x N. ventricosa is "registered" in the March 1994
issue of CPN as N.x margaretea by Bruce Bednar and Clyde Bramblett . The
cross was made in 1983. There are a number of these plants out there,
and they seem to be free flowering. Mine is a female, and she bloomed
three times this last summer! Twice on the same vine! I have seen
Clydes' female flower in the middle of January. This cross seems to like
flowering-anytime it wants. It also appears to be very adaptive. I
would guess you grow it under highland conditions, and mine grows
vigorously under lowland conditions.

Regards,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida