Re: Nepenthes Peat Tea

From: Gordon MacDonald (gmacdonald@atl.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 22 1997 - 09:18:52 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:18:52 +0100
From: "Gordon MacDonald"<gmacdonald@atl.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Peat Tea

> Could those of you using this tea give specific details on how Nepenthes
> benefit from it? How it may be superior to something like miracid, if
> it works as a fertilizer?

The key here is the sensitive chemical balance that you are trying to
maintain
found in the natural peat. The peat tea is a saturated solution of all the
nutrients
found in peat - because this is saturated it will not remove any nutrients
from
the pot soil if passed through. Likewise, any nutrients lacking in the soil
 will
be replaced (by a kind of diffusion into the soil). Another key benefit is
that this
flushing, while not removing any nutrients, does remove any poisons or
other
chemicals that have been allowed to build up in the soil and in or on the
roots that
may be damaging to the plant.

The reason it will work better than miracid is that it maintains the
*natural*
balance - essential for sensitive plants.

I have been using peat tea with great success since the start of this year
with
VFTs, where I had previously only ever experienced the '8 week downfall'
before, so
it seems to be doing the trick.

Regards,

- Gordon MacDonald