Greetings from new member

From: Russ & Kathy Thornton (radarguy@gdi.net)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 17:55:26 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:55:26 -0400
From: Russ & Kathy Thornton <radarguy@gdi.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Greetings from new member

Hi All,
Just joined the list this week and have enjoyed the readings. I have
been interested in CPs for about 12 years. I have yet to be very
successful at it though. Alsways trying to
make an artificial environment for humidity and light. I gave it up for

a while(several years) Until I started working for the company I now
work with. One of my peers had a flytrap growing very healthy just in an

open pot on his file cabinet. It was not red at all but I was impressed

with the size of the leaves. I found my own plant and basicall did the
same thing and grew one at work and it survived for about 3 years. I
put it in the sun and it got much reder. I still have trouble with the
most common plants though and will probably ask some of the dumbest
questions for a while. I have tried flavas and California
Darlingtonias(spelling may be off). The did not do well in my artificial

terariums.
I was always having a problem dissapating the heat from the lights.
Right now I am jsut nursing a couple of flytraps. So here is a couple
of questions for now.

I keep them indoors and about once every 45 days put them outside for a
day. That is all it takes here in Florida for all of the traps to get
catches. Is that enough, too much or what? Second, Usually when they
do die and I check through the moss I cannot find any substance that I
could call a plant. And there are these realy tiny bugs crawling around

that seem to have eaten the poor things. I have tried sevin dust
without success. What am I doing wrong? One thing I have found by
reading on the internet is that I need another inch or two of depth in
my container. I have marbles on the bottom to support the moss above a
layer of water. I only use distilled water. I also notice that the
moss itself gets this burnt look to it after a while.
OK, Last question: Are there any serious enthusiasts in the Orlando
area that might want to talk to a novice?

Thanks
Russ

--
For God so loved the world that he gave His
only begotten Son that whosoever believeth