CP Breeding/Inbreeding and conservation

From: JEFFREY WELCH (WELCH.JEFFREY@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 12:05:05 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:05:05 -0400
From: JEFFREY WELCH <WELCH.JEFFREY@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP Breeding/Inbreeding and conservation

Hi Folks

Actually Rand, breeding for recessive traits is exactly what I was talking
about. Of course you will have inferior traits surfacing, but you will also
have (possibly) desirable ones surfacing as well. I've also been
involved in dog breeding and can give you many examples of negative
traits that segregate with breed characteristics, but plants are not dogs
and trashing all but a few seedlings is not the same (for me at least) as
doing the same with animals.

First, I agree that self-sustaining wild populations are what we all want
to see protected, but let me give you a more specific USFWS based
practical/legal example of why distinctive cultivars assist conservation
efforts. A nursery grown plant must show characteristics which are
distinct from a plant which grows in the wild. This is a broad definition
which encompasses more specific criteria, but is used when inspecting
plants as in CITES regulated imports. So if CP in *cultivation* are distinct
from those in nature, then wild collected plants are easier to spot. The
difference doesn't have to be large, just predictable and reasonably easy
to spot.

Take care!

Jeff