Re: CP Breeding/Inbreeding and conservation

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 15:06:53 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:06:53 -0300
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP Breeding/Inbreeding and conservation

>Hi Folks
>
>Actually Rand, breeding for recessive traits is exactly what I was talking
>about. Of course you will have inferior traits surfacing, but you will also
>have (possibly) desirable ones surfacing as well.

Yes, you will: This is part of the process. My only concern, as far as CPs
go, is that CP breeders will go the way of many orchid breeders. I just do
not see the point in this.

>I've also been
>involved in dog breeding and can give you many examples of negative
>traits that segregate with breed characteristics, but plants are not dogs
>and trashing all but a few seedlings is not the same (for me at least) as
>doing the same with animals.

I am not _comparing_ plant breeding to dog breeding. I merely used that as
an accessable and commonly known illustration. The basic principle remains
true. There might be one or two people out there that aren't so damn smart
as us, and, I didn't want them to miss anything.

(Self-depreciatory _humour_, guys. Just kidding! Please save the flames,
or, if you do not understand the first sentence in this aside, please send
the flames directly to me and save the CP-List)

>First, I agree that self-sustaining wild populations are what we all want
>to see protected, but let me give you a more specific USFWS based
>practical/legal example of why distinctive cultivars assist conservation
>efforts. A nursery grown plant must show characteristics which are
>distinct from a plant which grows in the wild. This is a broad definition
>which encompasses more specific criteria, but is used when inspecting
>plants as in CITES regulated imports.

(CITES sucks humongeously!!!

As it stands, it is an impediment to scientific research, the legitimate
conservation of severly endangered species and is so vague and open to
interpretation as to encourage wild population depletion and smuggling. It
is one of the worst examples of a committee designing a horse that I have
ever seen. And I used to be a bureaucrat within two governments.

My apologies for going off-topic: A knee jerk reaction to the "C" thing.)

>So if CP in *cultivation* are distinct
>from those in nature, then wild collected plants are easier to spot. The
>difference doesn't have to be large, just predictable and reasonably easy
>to spot.
>
>Take care!
>
>Jeff

But, why _should_ CP in cultivation be distinct from those in nature? What
benefit would be derived by this? Lessen the paperwork of some civil
employee who gets paid through tax collection? We should all grow hybrids?

In my opinion (and that is all it is): Spoting wild collected plants during
a customs inspection should not be an issue. Spotting _illegally_ collected
and transported protected wild plants should.

On the hybridizing note -

I wonder if Mr. Sung would sell me one of his OUT OF STOCK large hybrid
all-red flytraps if I offered him $200.oo dollars ... But, that would be in
Canadian funds ...

 ... Naw.

Besides; Mr. Sung ain't in it to gouge anyone. Free Reds in three years.

I'll wait for the one that makes coffee in the morning.

Kind Regards,

Rand