Re: Encephilitides

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 15:22:57 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:22:57 -0300
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Encephilitides

>My posting was to warn somebody who said that they were interested in
>going to Florida about Encephilitides. The amount of insult and being
>the target of jokes that I have gotten in return on the list seems a
>little uncalled for, when my original intentions were to inform
>somebody of the risks, not to sabotage the Flordia tourist industry as
>some on the list seem to think.

Matt, the _manner_ in which you published this _mis-information_ on a
public List, is what got so many people so upset. Many people that suscribe
to this list live in Florida, or have friends there (as do I). Yet you are
the only one who felt fit to send out such a dire warning.

You _are_ responsible for anything that you say here, or elsewhere on the
net. I suspect that you got less than you could have, under these
circumstances.

Never shout "fire" in a public place unless you can see the flames.

You should have checked your facts before posting.

>Also on a lighter note, Tom in Fl, I wonder if I should take the
>advice of a guy who continues to live in a house repeatedly struck by
>lightning? :)

The fact that he continues to live there should tell you _much_ more than
you want to know about him. :) :)

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson