Plants from large stores

From: steve steve (stevesteve@rocketmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 10:10:53 PDT

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: steve steve <stevesteve@rocketmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Plants from large stores

Hi All,

On a lighter note than my question about pests, are there more CPs in
stores these days or is it my imagination?

Here in the UK There are a number of large DIY chains. *B and Q* and
*HomeBase* have both been carrying a good line in plants this year.

The following have all been available this year:

Drosera capensis alba
D. adelae
D. spp

Nepenthes hybrids

Sarracenia purpurea
S. psittacina
S. hybrids

Pinguicula spp.

Dionaea muscipula

In many stores the plants struggle as time passes as they are not kept
wet enough or watered with very hard tap water. I did buy a couple of
plants early in the season when they were still looking good and they
are still thriving, including a large green VFT that has continued to
grow strongly.

If you are going to buy from these stores it is probably a good idea
to make your purchases as soon as the stock is delivered and then give
them a good flush through with rain water as soon as you can.

A final, big hand goes to B and Q in Luton ( I have to commute on the
M1 every day). They had brief but useful hand outs by the CP section
this year and watering cans labelled *rain water for venus flytraps*.

If more stores can be persuaded to take action like this, then perhaps
we can reduce the number of people who, like myself, started as a
young hopeful only to watch a sad little VFT go steadily black.

Cheers

Steve

ps my D. binata dichotoma has just started flowering. Large snow white
flowers on tall scapes ... a small event in the grand scheme of things
but it brings me great pleasure.