Sarr growth

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 11:24:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:24:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarr growth

I've read in books or heard from some of you that S. leucophylla puts
out its best pitchers in the fall and the ones in my outdoor bog are
finally doing that. Some of the other Sarr are also attempting fall
pitchers with varying success. S. flava put out winter phyllodia during
the heyday of summer and then made feable attempts at putting out real
pitchers. The S. rubras that I got from D. Evans (thanks for such
beautifully grown cps) and others in the Spring have recoverd and are
having a growth spurt with many new pitchers. The same is true for S.
alata although the number of pitchers isn't as great as with the rubras.
S. minor seems to be more even tempered when it comes to pitcher
production, producing them in the spring and throughout the summer. I
haven't noticed a growth spurt now of pitchers, though. I have psitts
but haven't done much observation about pitcher growth since they are
overshadowed by everything else in the bog. What I noticed yesterday is
that growth has been abundant during the summer with many pitchers to
carry them through the winter. My oberservations on S. purpurea are not
as keen so it's difficult to compare pitcher growth now with what was
happenning in the spring.

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples' observations about pitcher
production now compared to spring and summer.

David