Re. Cultivating Sarr's

From: Necropsy69@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 14:12:48 PDT

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 17:12:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: Necropsy69@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re. Cultivating Sarr's

There are several ways of reproducing sarracenia plants. The following are
ways of doing so:
Rhizome cuttings- Simply cut a rhizome into 1 inch lengths, being very
careful not to damage any roots. Then dust the cut surface with a fungicide
to prevent fungal growth, of course. Now repot these sections in horizontal
positions and cover them with a cm. of sphagnum moss(Preferably living). Make
sure not to over water the moss, for it can contribute to the growth of
fungi.
Crown separation- If the rhizome of your sarracenia has multiple crowns or
growth points, carefully divide the rhizome into separate plants by cutting
the rhizome apart between crown regions. Dust the cut surfaces with a
fungicide, once again, and repot crowns separately.

Both of these methods are very successful and hopefully will result in more
plants. But, you do have to take precautions:
1) Use good, new sphagnum moss.
2) Don't over water before repoting.
3) Try to treat all cuttings with fungicide to insure plant health.
And I think you get the point. Well, I hope this was of some help for you.
Enjoy the plants and good luck with your cultivation.

Behrad (Carbuncle3, Necropsy69@aol.com)