Nepenthes Alata

From: Chin-Wee LEE (chin_lee@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 15:29:51 PDT

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:29:51 PDT
From: "Chin-Wee LEE" <chin_lee@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Alata

******* This is an experiment that I conducted. I did this because I had
excess plant cuttings. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER OR LOOKING
FOR ADVISE. I repeat, this is only an experiment and I wanted to post my
findings on this group discussion. *********

Several weeks ago, I read something on this listserve about growing CP's
in a variety of medium and something was mentioned about potting soil.
Since I had about 30 cuttings of N. Alata that I had recently planted, I
decided to uproot six of these cuttings and place them in pure black
potting soil. When I uprooted them, I saw that all the cuttings had
developed roots and the roots were about .5 - 1 cm long. These cutting
were about 3 weeks old, none had pitchers on them and they were of all
different sections of the mother plant. Also they all had shown some new
growth. I placed all of them into pure potting soil. Then I just placed
them into my growing room along with my other CP's and watered
generously.

For the first week, the ends of the new leaves blackened and shriveled
but the leaves have remained intact.

Second week - no signs of new growth. Leaves remained intact but turning
darker green.

Third week - sign of new growth of one leaf but the tip is already black
when it comes out. The leaves are now DARK green.

Fourth week - I see new growth of the third leaf and the tips is black
and shriveled. The leaves remain dark green.

Fifth week - fourth leaf comes out and tip is intact but later shriveled
up.

Sixth week - The fifth leaf comes out and the tip is intact and stays
intact.

Present - waiting to see if a pitcher developes from this tip. Waiting
and waiting. But I have noticed that all the leaves of the potting soil
batch is much darker than the other ones. Growth is same. None of them
have developed pitchers, all just growing leaves. These are grown in the
following environment - 28-30C by day, 20-21C by night, lighted by 400W
HPS bulb, 65-70% humidity by day, 80-90% at night.

I just wanted to let everybody know what I've been doing. Please don't
condemn me for what I am doing, I am just doing this for my own
curiousity and wanted to share it with others. If you have any questions
or comments, please ask.

****BY NO MEANS IS THIS MEANT TO MISLEAD ANYBODY ON HOW TO GROW YOUR
PLANTS. I KNOW IT IS ON A PUBLIC DISCUSSION GROUP AND THERE ARE
BEGINNERS ON THIS GROUP BUT THIS IS ONLY AN EXPERIMENT. *****

Chin Lee
chin_lee@hotmail.com